Position Title: DIRECTOR, PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
Department: Programs and Services
Date: July 5th, 2019
The Director of Programs and Services fulfills PWA’s mission and current strategic plan by leading and managing all programs and services for clients and volunteers.
They oversee the implementation of PWA’s bold new strategic plan, to be the PHA Hub, within PWA’s programs and services, and in partnership with other HIV organizations and other agencies. In all of their work, they put people living with HIV/AIDS (PHAs) at the centre of service delivery by ensuring the greater involvement and meaningful engagement of PHAs in program design, delivery and evaluation. They also understand the intersectionalities impacting the lives of PHAs and passionately cultivate PWA to be a healing and welcoming space where all can be their authentic selves.
An outstanding coach and supervisor, the Director of Programs and Services passionately inspires, supports and develops all programs and services staff and managers, a direct report team of 10. The Director provides staff with ongoing and consistent supervision to support staff’s work, resilience and professional growth. The Director nurtures a positive and vibrant workplace culture where proactive communication, conflict resolution, collaboration, team work, and accountability are expected and role modeled.
A strong manager and planner, the Director of Programs and Services leads the development and monitoring of yearly program and strategic implementation plans, and a $1.3 million program budget. They work closely and collaboratively with their Director team and fill in the role of Acting Executive Director during the absences/vacation of the Executive Director.
The Director of Programs and Services supervises all programs and services staff and managers. The Director reports to the Executive Director.
1) Ensures that all programs and services fulfill PWA’s mission and strategic plan, and are accessible, equitable and responsive to the needs of people living with HIV/AIDS;
2) Leads the implementation of the PHA Hub strategic plan within PWA’s programs and services;
3) Seeks the input of PHAs on all programs and services through advisory committees, and through evaluative activities;
4) Develops new or strengthens existing services in consultations with clients, staff and volunteers;
5) Responds proactively to client and volunteer complaints;
6) Supports and supervises a team of managers and frontline staff through 1-on-1 monthly supervisions, professional growth plans, yearly performance evaluations and monthly team meetings;
7) Develops and maintains partnerships and networks with HIV organizations and other agencies to foster collaboration and streamlined access to care and support for PHAs;
8) Oversees appropriate client and volunteer statistical collection;
9) Proactively meets funder requirements, including the timely completion of contracted activities and deliverables, and the timely submission of funding reports;
10) Drafts funding applications as required;
11) Develops and monitors yearly program and strategic implementation plans and budgets;
12) Ensures agency policies and procedures are current and followed, and developed and modified as required;
13) Collaborates with other Directors on agency-wide initiatives such as risk management and operational planning;
14) Supports PWA’s philanthropy efforts by participating in fundraising events and communications initiatives;
15) Engages in systemic advocacy efforts where appropriate and consistent with agency philosophy;
16) Fulfills the role of Acting Executive Director as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
1) Knowledge and understanding of the complexity of issues relating to HIV/AIDS;
2) Demonstrated knowledge and understanding related to accessibility, anti-racism & anti-oppression, equity, gender expression, harm reduction, sex positivity and truth and reconciliation;
3) Excellent communication, crisis intervention, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills;
4) Excellent critical thinking, judgement and problem-solving skills;
5) Excellent coaching and facilitation skills;
6) Ability to conduct organizational planning and develop policy and procedures;
7) Ability to work in a flexible and informal work environment.
8) Ability to organize, set priorities and manage multiple tasks.
1) 3+ years’ experience as a senior program manager or director in a not-for-profit organization;
2) Post-secondary degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please submit resumes by 6pm Monday, August 5th, 2019 to:
Suzanne Paddock, Executive Director
PWA is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage people living with HIV/AIDS to apply for this position.