PWA Seeking Full-time, Permanent
PHA ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
Department: Programs and Services
Revised: January 3, 2022
Deadline for submissions is 4:00pm, January 23rd, 2023.
TORONTO PEOPLE WITH AIDS FOUNDATION (PWA) MISSION
We engage people living with HIV/AIDS in enhancing their health and wellbeing through practical and therapeutic support services and broader social change, and we inspire them to live into their dreams and discoveries.
The PHA Engagement program supports PWA’s commitment to GIPA/MEPA (greater involvement and meaningful engagement of people living with & affected by HIV/AIDS) and creates broader social change through meaningfully engaging people living with HIV/AIDS (PHAs).
- Recruits, trains, coordinates and provides in-depth coaching and capacity building to PHA Peer Outreach volunteers in areas such as : Health Champion, Poz Prevention and Speaker’s Bureau;
- Recruits, trains, coordinates and supports people living with HIV/AIDS participating in the PHA-PI (people living with HIV/AIDS – patient instructor) and University of Toronto Preceptorship Buddy programs;
- Conducts effective community recruitment within diverse communities, including ability, gender, gender expression, age, ethnicity, religion and HIV disease progression identified communities, to ensure that the PHA Engagement program equitably represents the many lived experiences of HIV/AIDS;
- Actively solicits, manages and supports education and outreach opportunities with the program’s priority populations, including people living with HIV/AIDS, men who have sex with men, and healthcare practitioners and students;
- Collaborates with key program stakeholders to develop and implement the new vision of PHA Engagement program amongst the Health Champion, Poz Prevention, Men’s Health Peer Navigators Program;
- Identifies, develops, updates and delivers trainings/presentations on sexual health, poz prevention and GIPA/MEPA based on outreach feedback and sector gaps for program peers and priority populations;
- Provides one-on-one support to positive men aimed at addressing some of the psycho-social issues which they face;
- Participates in meetings and trainings, and sits on committees, both in-house and on behalf of the agency, to increase service accessibility and agency leadership related to sexual health, poz prevention and GIPA/MEPA;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong understanding and knowledge of the complexity of issues relating to HIV/AIDS, sexual health and Poz prevention;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of anti-oppression/anti-racism, greater involvement and meaningful engagement of people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS (GIPA/MEPA), harm reduction and psychosocial rehabilitation;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong ability to effectively relate their own personal story living with HIV/AIDS to appropriate topics and issues;
- Verbal and written fluency in English is required and knowledge of a second language/culture is a definite asset;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook, and database programs.
Experience and Education
- 2-4 years’ experience in program coordination and volunteer management in a health related or social service-related field.
- 2-4 years of demonstrated excellent adult education, coaching, training skills an asset;
- Post-secondary degree in a related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- OAN Leadership and/or other relevant PHA (people living with HIV/AIDS) capacity building training an asset.
This position is designated for a male identified person living with HIV/AIDS and comes with a salary of $50,965.
No phone calls please.
Resumes may be submitted in confidence to:
Ian McKnight, Director, Programs & Services
fax: 416-506-1404 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
200 Gerrard Street East, Toronto, ON M5A 2E6