The opportunity: The Toronto People With AIDS Foundation (PWA) offers an opportunity to build on a strong existing fundraising base and make your mark by developing and executing innovative sponsorship strategies to grow a high-impact organization.
Projected to raise $1.4 million in the coming year, PWA’s fund development program is a mix of an iconic fundraising event, the Friends For Life Bike Rally, and other traditional fundraising activities. With a new fund development review and sponsorship strategy, conducted by external consultants, PWA is poised to introduce new initiatives and grow.
The organization: Since 1987, PWA has been helping men, women, trans men, trans women, and children live with HIV/AIDS. PWA is a community-based, registered charity and Canada’s largest practical support service provider for people living with HIV/AIDS. Visit us at https://www.pwatoronto.org
Position summary: The Philanthropy & Sponsorship Manager is a new position and will be an integral member of PWA’s Philanthropy & Communications team and the manager of the Friends For Life Bike Rally. The Friends For Life Bike Rally, currently in its 19th year, is PWA’s sustaining fundraising event raising $1m annually and engaging hundreds of participants on the 1-Day and 6-Day rides. A highly engaged and committed volunteer leadership committee supports the Bike Rally.
This position provides sponsorship guidance and oversight for all of PWA’s events and activities and will play a key role in developing innovative stewardship events and experiences. The Philanthropy & Sponsorship Manager will have fundraising experience as well as a demonstrated track record of effective volunteer and project management, communications – including experience developing a digital media strategy, and an excellent ability to manage external relationships.
Accountability: The Philanthropy & Sponsorship Manager reports to the Director of Philanthropy & Communications. The position has one direct report: the Special Events Coordinator.
- Works with the Director to create and manage the Bike Rally’s annual budgetary plan
- Leads in the planning, development and execution of the Bike Rally
- Manages day-to-day working relationships with the volunteer leadership committee and participants
- Negotiates and manages vendor relationships
- Develops relationships internally and externally and leverages partnerships to assist with the creation and delivery of events
- Manages event and agency sponsorship models and strategies
- Works with colleagues across the organization to develop compelling materials for sponsor cultivation, and stewardship
- Works with volunteers to engage new sponsors for events and campaigns and transitions event sponsors into long term agency partners
- Engages new sponsors in multi-year agreements for ongoing events and agency programming
Systems and Support:
- Works with the Director to develop an agency Digital Media Strategy
- Manages templates (critical path, budget etc)
- Reviews department event critical paths, budgets etc
- Provides event and sponsorship guidance to the Special Events Coordinator and other agency staff
- Develops, manages and reports on a pipeline of event and sponsorship opportunities
- Manages and works with event volunteers with key responsibilities on the Steering Committee’s Media & Communications, Sponsorship, Fundraising, and Recruitment committees
- Has regular calls and meetings to ensure that tasks are completed on time
- Utilizes event volunteers and committees to develop new vendor and sponsor relationships
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to own the event planning process, while leading and managing a team through project planning and execution
- Track record of developing, growing and executing successful events
- Demonstrated success in securing sponsorship for events and programs
- Experience developing and customizing stewardship events
- Excellent working knowledge of the media landscape, understanding of social media activation and community engagement
- Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to attract, motivate, and empower volunteers
- Ability to prioritize and manage dynamic workload
- Knowledge of the complexity of issues relating to HIV/AIDS
- Sensitive to issues of diversity and accessibility
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good team work ethic, and also capable of working independently
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines within budget
- Experience with peer to peer fundraising platforms and donor database management an important asset
- Large project management experience preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years’ progressive experience in corporate or non-profit fundraising event management
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in any of the following areas; fundraising, business management, marketing or related field
Authorized to Work in: Canada (i.e., Canadian citizen or permanent resident)
Employment Start Date: April 2017
Contract Duration: Full Time, salaried
Deadline for submissions is 5pm Monday, March 27, 2017
Please respond with a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position. Include your salary expectations, a resume, and some samples of your work (photos, event outline or other collateral you feel demonstrate your experience).
Resumes may be submitted in confidence to:
Mike Twamley, Director, Philanthropy & Communications
firstname.lastname@example.org – 200 Gerrard St. E., 2nd Floor, Toronto, ON M5A 2E6
The Toronto People With AIDS Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage people living with HIV/AIDS to apply for this position.